Malden is celebrating #ArtsMatterDay
October 25, 2019 3 to 9pm
This is a spontaneous initiative in tandem with the statewide #ARTSMATTERDAY campaign put together by a number of local organizations and volunteers/artists who are eager to highlight the arts as a key feature of Malden – something to treasure, celebrate, and support.
Immediate call for artists and volunteers – due 10/18
We are looking for artists and performers of all disciplines and from all cultures to help celebrate the array of artistic and cultural expressions that exist in and around Malden. Participating artists/performers can sketch on the street, exhibit artwork on an easel or table, give a performance, play music to passersby, sell your artwork/crafts, offer interactive art experiences, etc.
The artistic activity will take place at four different hubs on Pleasant Street:
- Cornucopia Foods – 61 Pleasant Street
- Network Technology Academy – 100 Pleasant Street
- Eastern Bank inlet at corner of Washington and Pleasant
- MATV (now called UMA, Urban Media Arts) – 145 Pleasant Street
If you would like to show, perform, sell your work or participate in some other way, please complete the PARTICIPATION FORM below.
- Malden Chamber of Commerce
- UMA, formerly known as MATV
- St. Pauls Parish
- Malden Arts
- City of Malden
- Integral Arts Everett
- Chinese Culture Connection
- American Association for Arab Women
- Namaste Malden
- The Gallery@57
- Network Solutions Academy
- Eastern Bank
- Cornucopia Foods
The day will kick off with a ribbon cutting at The Gallery@57. Schedule and map forthcoming. [For download and viewable by phone.] Once we have a collection of performers and exhibitors, we will offer a schedule of activities and a map. The map will also include art attractions beyond Pleasant Street.
3pm – The Gallery@57 ribbon cutting and official opening
3pm-6pm Be videotaped as you share #WhyArtsMatter or #HowIsupportArts in front of UMA (Formerly known as MATV), 145 Pleasant Street.
All day – Post all kinds of art thoughts on social media using hashtags #artsmatterday #artsmattermalden #artsmatterday2019 and any other hashtags you like.
- Will there be a sound system available to performers? No unless brought by musician/performer.
- Will there be restrooms available? No public ones.
- Will food be provided? No. Please enjoy the restaurants along Pleasant Street.
- What if it rains? The event will be cancelled.
- Is there a cost? No except if you wish to purchase art or offer support to a performer.
- Can artists outside of Malden participate? Yes
More about #ARTSMATTER DAY
From Mass Creative, “On #ArtsMatterDay October 25, 2019 the creative community will flood social media with images and videos celebrating why arts matter in Massachusetts.” Sign up to be listed on Mass Creative’s website.
- Share that you’re celebrating #ArtsMatterDay and invite others to join on social media.
- Celebrate #ArtsMatterDay on October 25 by posting pictures and videos and using #ArtsMatter to highlight your organization’s events and programs.
Mass Creative offers a toolkit for any organization or individual who wants to partner and spread the word.