Malden is celebrating #ArtsMatterDay October 25 | 3-7pm
A few performances, exhibitions, interactive art experiences and a chance to share why art matters to you along four main hubs on Pleasant Street in Malden.
This is a spontaneous initiative in tandem with the statewide #ARTSMATTERDAY campaign put together by a number of local organizations and volunteers/artists who are eager to highlight the arts as a key feature of Malden – something to treasure, celebrate, and support.
The artistic activity will take place at four different hubs on Pleasant Street, but there are other attractions close by:
Primary hubs of activity
- Cornucopia Foods – 61 Pleasant Street
- Network Technology Academy – 100 Pleasant Street
- Eastern Bank inlet at corner of Washington and Pleasant
- MATV (now called UMA, Urban Media Arts) – 145 Pleasant Street
Happenings and Schedule
|3:00pm||KICKOFF: The Gallery@57 Ribbon Cutting||57 Pleasant St|
|3:30pm||Evelyn Gayhart, violin||Eastern Bank||Performance|
|3:30-4:30pm||Hand crafts for kids (CCC)||UMA||Interactive Art (kids)|
|3:30-5:00pm||Cat Daze art||Network Acad.||Display, sales|
|3:30-5:30pm||Sketching with Minghuang Zhang||Cornucopia||Sales, Demo|
|3:30-7:00pm||Get on video sharing #whyartmatters to you||UMA||Interactive|
|3:30-7:00pm||Gisell (Trippylandia) artwork||Network Acad.||Display, sales|
|3:30-7:00pm||Sarah Morrison arts and prints||Network Acad.||Display, sales|
|3:30-7:00pm||Heather Umbenhower handmade jewelry||Network Acad.||Display, sales|
|3:30-7:00pm||Catching Malden’s Dreams, (Integrative Arts Everett)||Network Acad.||Interactive art (adults and kids)|
|3:40-4:40pm||Voice and Guitar, Lisa Hayley||Cornucopia||Performance|
|4:00-6:00pm||Color a Ball Gown (Sarah Morrison)||Strolling||Interactive art (adults and kids)|
|4:00-5:00pm||Knitting circle with Elena Martinez||Eastern Bank||Interactive|
|4:00-5:00pm||Anna Thai embroidery Demo/Display||Eastern Bank||Display, Demo|
|4:40pm||Poetry reading, Jeff Taylor||Eastern Bank||Performance|
|4:30-5:30pm||Interactive Chalk Art, Catdaze||Network Acad.||Interactive art (adults and kids)|
|5:00-6:00pm||Get Henna Design, Henna Inspired Design||Network Acad.||Sales|
|5:00-7:00pm||Essays and artwork of Anna E Geoffroy||Network Acad.||Display, Information|
|5:00-7:00pm||Peg Casey, Mystic River Mermaid Book||Network Acad.||Display, Sales|
|5:00-7:00pm||Sarah Darling, illustrations and paintings||Network Acad.||Display, Sales|
|5:00-7:00pm||Briana Pierce, painting and jewelry||Network Acad.||Display, Sales|
|5:30-6:30pm||Calligraphy and brush painting demonstration||UMA||Demo|
|5:35pm||Tribal Fusion belly dance, Katie Koval||Cornucopia||Performance|
|5:50pm||Guitar music, Sarah Darling||Network Acad.||Performance|
|6:00-7:00pm||Gabriela Crinigan art||Network Acad.||Display, Sales|
|6:15pm||Chinese Dance, Guandong Dance Troupe||UMA||Performance|
|6:30pm||Chinese Music, Zhi Min Zhao Music School||UMA||Performance|
|6:45pm||Sing along with Karyn Alzayer||Network Acad.||Performance Interactive|
Learn more about arts and culture in Malden:
There will be information about various local organizations like Malden Arts, Chinese Culture Connection, Urban Media Arts (UMA), Integral Arts Everett, Namaste Malden, Malden Cultural Council, St. Paul’s Concert Series, Malden Reads and more. If you have information about an event or group you would like to share, please drop it off Friday morning at 145 Pleasant Street.
- City of Malden
- Chinese Culture Connection
- Cornucopia Foods
- Eastern Bank
- Integral Arts Everett
- Malden Arts
- Malden Chamber of Commerce
- Namaste Malden
- Network Solutions Academy
- St. Pauls Parish
- The Gallery@57
- Urban Media Arts (UMA), formerly known as MATV
- Will there be a sound system available to performers? No unless brought by musician/performer.
- Will there be restrooms available? No public ones. Artists have access to restrooms.
- Will food be provided? No. Please enjoy the restaurants along Pleasant Street.
- What if it rains? The event will be cancelled.
- Is there a cost? No except if you wish to purchase art or offer support to a performer.
More about #ARTSMATTER DAY
From Mass Creative, “On #ArtsMatterDay October 25, 2019 the creative community will flood social media with images and videos celebrating why arts matter in Massachusetts.” Sign up to be listed on Mass Creative’s website.
- Share that you’re celebrating #ArtsMatterDay and invite others to join on social media.
- Celebrate #ArtsMatterDay on October 25 by posting pictures and videos and using #ArtsMatter to highlight your organization’s events and programs.
Mass Creative offers a toolkit for any organization or individual who wants to partner and spread the word.