Skip to content
- Ensure internet connection is adequate. Be close to router if possible.
- If connecting from a laptop, plug in the laptop wall power. Battery use can adversely affect video quality.
- Ensure that you have a camera, microphone, and headphones or speakers available.
- Ensure location lighting does not limit a participant’s visibility (e.g., avoid backlighting from windows or lamps).
- Avoid sitting in front of windows if possible.
- Turn on a desk lamp in front of you and close the window shades behind you, which will create much more flattering lighting.
- Chose a neutral background so that viewers are not focused on your visual backgrounds.
- Earbuds or headphones are preferable to avoid audio feedback and echoes.
- Call from a quiet location with no background noise.
- Use earbuds/earphones if possible for best sound and mic quality.
- Remove pets from the room if at all possible.
- If you are connecting via a smartphone hold in the horizontal position.
- Wear neutral, solid-colored clothing. Avoid black, white, or striped clothing.
- If using a cellphone use in the horizontal position..
- Be cognizant of your behavior, you are LIVE on camera people can see what you are doing AT ALL TIMES.
- Position your devices so the camera you are using has you centered on the screen using a rule of thirds. Eyes are in the middle of the screen axis points as well as allow room above.
For first-time Zoom users